The Top 8 Questions To Ask When Hiring a Tree Care Service
Gazing out your window while sipping your morning cup of coffee, you realize wow we have a lot of trees that look lopsided, are losing leaves, that one in the corner has been dead for some time, and in general your whole treescape could use some love. When it comes to tree care and maintenance, it’s best to seek professional help. A licensed arborist can help you discern the best course of action for each tree while professional crews can perform the work safely and efficiently. But how do you know that you’re hiring the best company for the job? Here are the top 8 questions to ask when hiring a tree care service:
- Can you provide an up-do-date certificate of insurance? If the answer is no, hang up the phone immediately. Proper (and mandatory) insurance can protect a homeowner from liability in the event of damage, accidents, or injury.
- What safety protocols do the crews adhere to? According to a study in 2019, Logging and Tree Removal is the second most dangerous job in the United States. Be sure your company adheres to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) requirements which include personal protective equipment for any tree care operation.
- What are your credentials? Look for a company with an International Society of Arborculture (ISA) certified Arborist, a Tree Care Industry Association Accredited Business (TCIA), and/or a Certified Tree Care Safety Professional (CTSP)
- Can you provide references and/or previous customer reviews? An established company will usually have an online review/rating system in place. In addition, they should be happy to share a list of recent satisfied customers.
- Will you provide a detailed estimate? It’s important to get a detailed estimate to get an understanding of the scope of the project. Look for detailed descriptions such as tree species and diameter in addition to a detailed plan of action. Ask if heavy duty equipment will be necessary and if so what is their plan for maneuvering throughout your property without causing unnecessary damage to other landscaping, sprinkler heads, etc.
- How long will the project take? When comparing estimates, take into account the scope and time a project will take.
- What specific methods do they plan to use when pruning a tree? If the answer is climbing a tree with spikes (spikes attached to boots for footing) or topping (removing live sections from the top of the tree), again hang up immediately. Both are poor practices that are not recommended for the life and health of your tree.
- Finally ask yourself, do they appear professional? Is your salesperson polite and knowledgeable? Are their vehicles and equipment clean and taken care of? If they don’t take care of their equipment, do you think they will take care of a tree on your property. Do they have a website? Design and content can speak volumes about a company’s level of professionalism.
Your treescape is an important asset to your property’s value. We at Titan Tree Care care very much about maintaining your healthy trees when possible and safely removing trees when necessary. Call our fully licensed and professional crews to get an estimate today!
Get a Quote
Looking for expert tree care? Fill out the form below and we’ll be in touch!
Looking for expert tree care?